Fire Safety Reminders
- Post Emergency Phone Numbers for all employees.
- Make sure all employees are aware of the location of fire extinguishers and are familiar with how an extinguisher operates.
- In a fire or other emergency, follow the instruction of your designated Floor Warden and other Emergency Personnel.
- Never use the elevators.
- While it is usually advised to go downward in a building during a fire, there are occasions when it may be necessary to go to an upper floor or the roof. For example, if smoke enters the stairwell, you may be driven upwards toward cleaner air.
- If you encounter smoke, get down on your hands and knees. Air is cleaner and cooler near the floor. Crawl to the nearest stairwell and exit if it is safe to do so.
- Most fire-related deaths are the result of smoke inhalation, poisonous gas or panic. Panic can be avoided by being well prepared for an emergency. Learn all the emergency procedures as if they were second nature.